Saturday, April 19, 2008

Talking about sex all weekend

It's for a class. As a part of my training as a marriage and family therapist, I'm required to take a couple of classes on sex therapy. I know this may sound weird, but as I've gotten into it I really have realized how badly our world, especially the Church, understands what God intended for sex, gender, and everything related to them. So anyway, this class has been especially informative because one of the professors (actually all of them) are very well-respected in the secular and Christian psychology field, and today we have been discussing homosexuality and gender identity and how to help those struggling with these issues, especially Christians. Obviously, there will be differences of opinion even within Christian ciricles about if those struggling with homosexuality or gender identity even need "help." But in my opinion all of us could use some help with what we have learned about our gender and about sex in general. But this one professor (Mark Yarhouse, check out his type of therapy and research here) has been doing very well-respected research about helping those struggling with gender identity and homosexuality, not necessarily about what causes these issues (although he thinks research has shown both nature/biology and nurture/learning and environment contribute) but about how to help these individuals deal with their fallen nature in a moral way guided by God and Scripture. It is a very cool calling, and I realized today how much we need to be in prayer for him and those like him. He is submerged in an area (sexuality) that has been so dominated by the Enemy and where there will obviously be much spiritual warfare. So I'm asking you to join me in prayer for him as well as to pray for me as I enter a career/ministry where I will also be dealing with some of these issues, even in helping married couples with sexual issues.

No comments: