Monday, June 9, 2008

Incompetence

Well, Joey and I have gotten on a soap box lately about incompetence. I mean I know all about this right now being a new counselor, but I feel like I do my best to talk to supervisors and collegues that can help me provide the best services. Anyway, we got on this kick lately with Charter because we have been without internet for a week and a half up til today. It was ridiculous....calling them everyday, getting lied to, having several technicians come out daily and not fixing the problem. Anyway, we also started discussing the incompetent people who built and lived in our house before us. As we have started to do more and more remodeling, we are realizing how much wasn't done correctly in the first place. I guess when you're dealing with this kind of thing all day every day, you have to approach it with a sense of humor or you'll go insane. So Joey and I were talking last night and comically started making up conversations that the people who lived here or built the house must have had. Here's what we've come up with so far...

Builder #1: Wouldn't it be stupid to put a light fixture or a plug anywhere on the back porch or make it easy to access the wiring to install one?
Builder #2: Yeah, and it would also be stupid to put a water spicket on the back of the house. We'll just put one on the front, and if the buyers need a hose in the back, they can stretch it through the front door and out the back door like true Tennesse hicks do.
Builder #3: Well, I think it would also look really cool to put all the electrical outlets upside down.
Builder #1: That's fine. Also, since the house that was here before this one burned down, rather than have the heavy equipment dig up the old foundation, let's just put dirt over it. It's ok if it ever washes away...they don't need to grow grass there in the front yard.
Builder #2: Sounds good to me. In the master bedroom, I'm just going to put one light switch to control the overhead fan as well as the light over the stairs. They'll never need to have the fan on at night without the light. Or if they do they can just untwist the bulbs in the other light so they can have the fan on too.
Builder #3: Speaking of lights, I'm going to install this spot light on the back corner of the house, but I'll put the switch for it in the crawlspace. They won't mind walking down here under the house to turn it on.

Home owner #1: That black gunky build up in the kitchen sink pipes can't be what's smelling. We'll just leave it like that and hope it's something else.
Home owner #2: Yeah, it's probably nothing. Just like it's nothing that the A.C. has to run all day to keep the temp. at 78 degrees. Those holes in the duct work under the house can't have anything to do with that.
Home owner #1: No it doesn't. And neither does the fact that we have hardly any insulation in the attic. Not a problem.
Child of homeowners: Mom, Dad! This is really fun! I love running this stick across the fins on the A.C. radiator and closing them off! Can I keep doing this?
Homeowner #2: Sure you can! It doesn't affect the A.C. at all if it can't suck in air.
Homeowner #1: I'm going to put up sheetrock in the garage to finish it. I think I'll put it on backwards so it will be that pretty brown color. I also won't mud it and just put FLATHEAD screws everywhere. If the next people want to take out all the FLATHEAD screws and mud and paint it, they'll just have to use 80 coats of white paint to cover this brown side of the sheetrock up.

This is all we've got right now. But maybe now you get a little taste of why we are going insane! (The reference to flathead screws is for Joey and his dad. If any of you handymen, or women, out there read this, you know what we're talking about. Flathead screws are the stupidest things ever!)

3 comments:

LB said...

ha, ha...so funny. And we had so much trouble with Charter when we moved into our old apartment. It was insane. They would make an appointment, we would completely work our schedule around them to make sure we would be there when they came. The appointment time would come and go, and no one would show up. We would call Charter to find out what was going on, and they would tell us that they came by the house and no one was home. This happened 4 or 5 times. It was maddening.

Anonymous said...

Hi-lar-i-ous!! If it makes you feel any better, all the outlets in our NEWLY constructed house are updside down (that's what you get for letting the electrician's apprentice install them ALONE. Anna has a cute little frog nightlight that she can't even use 'cause it has to hang upside down

Scott said...

I can't say anything, given my level of expertise I probably would have done everything wrong too.

But, it does make me feel better to hear you and Joey complain about flathead screws. I thought I was just that incompetent, but apparently they really are that horrible.