Saturday, September 17, 2011

Update: A Good Night

Thanks for all the advice and words of encouragement ladies! I really don't expect him to be on a schedule this early - I'm not very Type A. My biggest concern with his late night feasting was that he was depleting my milk supply, and I really didn't want to buy and supplement with formula if at all possible.

Anyway, he did wonderfully last night. He did try to do his late night feast at his 1:00 feeding again (wide awake). I fed him a little more than his usual 2 to 2.5 oz, fed him 3 oz. Then Joey and I were able to take shifts for about an hour and soothed him back to sleep, rocking and with a paci. He also slept a 3 hour stretch (4 hours between feedings) and a 2 hour (3 hours between feedings). So I'm very pleased. I figured it was some kind of habit since he was doing it at the same time every night, not just a random hunger/growth spurt. So it's good to know those instincts y'all were talking about were right! Thanks again!

2 comments:

LB said...

please don't feel bombarded by my advice--feel free to ignore:) But, my advice for keeping the milk "flowing," is to really feed on demand. I don't produce a ton of milk--just enough, really, so with John as long as I really wanted him to nurse, I fed him whenever he wanted. It drove me crazy at times, but it worked, and I was able to nurse him for the length of time that I wanted. Anyway...just wanted to throw that out there, but, again, feel free to ignore. You will find that moms are all to eager to insert advice if asked;) and I am certainly one of those moms handing out the advice.

Lindsay said...

LB, thanks. I wish I could nurse often but since he was jaundice and had to stay in the nursery they bottle fed him so he quit latching on or when he did he would get so frustrated that it wasn't coming out as fast as the bottle. So I just pump either before or after each of his feedings, about every 2 to 3 hours. I get plenty when he eats his normal 2 to 3 oz. Just not producing the 4 or 5 he would want at that late feasting! I think he'll be good now that we know ge can be soothed since he's just so wide awake at that feeding.