Saturday, September 10, 2011

Birth Story



Our little blessing arrived Friday, September 9, 2011 (one day earlier than his due date).

I figured I would go ahead and write the birth story (because I hear you tend to forget the details especially with the fatigue).
I had been in some form of labor since Monday. I say some form because I was hurting and even on a regular schedule but not enough to be what I thought contractions should be like. They would never increase in intensity or closeness together but just moderately hurt about an hour apart. I was very much hoping all that discomfort wasn't wasted and that on Tuesday the Dr. would tell me I had dilated from the 1 cm the week before. Thankfully, it was music to my ears when he told me I was at 3!

Then I had a difficult decision to make...he offered to induce me that night because he would be leaving to go out of town Friday (when he thought the baby might come on his own). I had said from the beginning I didn't want to be induced (unless medically necessary) because I had heard too many horror stories of how long it takes and all the complications due to your body's not being ready. So after discussing it with Joey and some other friends and family, I decided to let things happen on their own.

So Thursday rolls around, and I'm very uncomfortably wondering when this thing is going to happen. Joey decided to go in to work because he had been waiting around on this little guy for a week and a half. He thought maybe if he left, Marshall would be spiteful and come :)
So that evening I decided to take a bath to try to get comfortable (thinking to myself, even though I know it won't happen would I know if my water breaks in the bathtub?). Not many mintues later, just that happened!! Joey was halfway between home and Huntsville on his way home, so I told him to just turn around and head to the hospital and that my parents could take me.

So mom and dad picked me up and we got to Huntsville about 9:00 PM. At this point I was mostly hurting in my back but still not as bad as I expected. When we got to the hospital, they were packed in L & D! A nurse came out and said I could come with her and that I had gotten the last room! She said she picked me out of everybody waiting because I was bent over holding my back, ha!

I met my wonderful nurse, Bethany, who checked me and told me I was at 4 cm. The contractions were coming about every 6 minutes or so but still weren't too bad. I was grateful, hoping that I could hold out on the epidural til the last minute. About an hour and a half went by and I was at 5 cm. Then the contractions picked up. They first were coming about every 3 minutes and were getting stronger, then they picked up to where I only had about 30 seconds rest between and they were awful!! Joey was awesome - letting me lean over him to try to take pressure off my back. I was so hoping I was 7 cm or so since it had been probably 2 hours. But unfortunately, I was only 5.5 cm. At that point I decided I wanted the epidural and would just hope it didn't slow down my progress.

The nurse got the ok from the dr. (thankfully, my doctor was still in town and decided to wait until I delievered to leave probably Friday) to use pitocin with the epidural so my progress wouldn't slow. Thankfully, either because of this approach or because I finally got to relax, I progressed to 8.5 cm in a couple hours. That epidural was so wonderful. The nurse put me in a "wedge position" to drop him as much as possible. About an hour later, I was ready to push! I did a few pushes with her before she called the dr. because he had crowned. Dr. came in and I pushed several sets with him, and there my baby boy was!! After just 45 minutes of pushing and 9/10 hours of labor, John Marshall was born at 7:19 AM, weighing 6 lb. 12 oz and 19 1/2 in long (not much different from his daddy at 6 lb 14 oz, 19 in)! It was such a physical relief, emotional relief, and pure joy to finally see him (and exactly what I hoped - his strawberry blonde hair!).

He's such a great baby already. I'm sure it can change in the coming days/weeks, but right now he loves to sleep (wherever, however) and nurses very well. Maybe this won't jinx him :) We are so in love! Amazing that God entrusted such a sweet little human to us!! We already pray that we'll be parents that point him to his Heavenly Father!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Awww. Precious! Congrats and enjoy every minute b/c it goes by so quickly!