Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Forever God Is Faithful

I just wanted to let all of you in on what I experienced as the most comforting and hopeful memorial service. I know it can seem hard to believe that any memorial service could be anything but sad, espeically one that was for an individual who had messed up so many times and I'm sure hurt a lot of people (I became more aware of indivduals who were hurt when they commented on my previous post). Although I don't think it is helpful to say some of the things that were said in the comments, I do understand that some of the things Sam probably did really angered and hurt some people. I know his family would be the first to apologize for those things for him. This is one of the saddest things about addictions - that you end up hurting so many more people than just yourself. The hopeful and comforting part of Sam's memorial service today was that it was a celebration because Sam had made a profession of faith in Christ; therefore, he is in a better place and we can be comforted by our faithful God who will work this for His glory. We even sang the song Praise You In This Storm as well as Forever God Is Faithful. All of the ministers who spoke said some great things including that Sam was like the Prodigal Son who strayed from what he knew was right but that God was waiting for and running to him when he came home. Sam told several ministers as well as his family that he was so tired of fighting this addiction and the person it made him; he wanted to change so badly. God decided to take Sam home now, and I am faithfully trusting even though it's painful that God is going to use Sam's life and death to glorify Him and bring people closer to Him. Like I said, I know Sam wasn't perfect by a long shot, but neither are any of us. We ALL deserve death, but Christ gives us the gift (which we can't earn) of eternal life. This gift doesn't promise that we won't have to struggle with our sinful nature. I am the same as Sam, we all are. He struggled with an addiction that hurt himself and a lot of others, and I stuggle with a negative attitude, impatience, and pride just to name a few all of which hurt myself and others (which my husband can attest to). Therefore, we all need a Savior to keep challenging us in our weak areas and calling us to become more like Him. It was an amazing service to see Sam's whole family raising their hands, praising God. As much as I hurt, especially seeing pictures of Sam and I in the good ole days when we were little, I felt so much better after the service, feeling Sam's family's confidence which reminded me that God is here for us and will use this.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lins, I'm always amazed by your faith and strength in times of hardship. Your ability to stay positive should set an example for everyone. I love you and I'm so proud of you.

Lindsay said...

Thanks Rach. Like I said, I'm definitely hurting, but I'm getting strength from people like Rocky and Pam and Roxi.

Anonymous said...

Linsay, all I can say is that you are an amazing young lady and that everything you said is so true. We all fall short of God's glory! We deserve nothing, yet GOD died for us.I couldn't imagine life without him. He has given me so much strength especially in the last month. THANKS so much for sharing that with everyone. roxanne f green