Saturday, April 18, 2009

Rocky's Fight

We got some horrible news this past Thursday evening; Rocky was diagnosed with cancer - lymphoma, a very common cancer for dogs. We were both devastated. If you know us, you know that Rocky and Ty (but especially Rocky) are our children. They do everything with us - trail riding, going to the store, hanging out, and even sleeping. I got Rocky as a Christmas present from my dad when I was a junior in high school. Ever since, he has slept with me and been there for me (except for two of the years I was in college, and he lived with Joey). The most difficult part for me about the diagnosis was wondering if it was going to be so progressed that we wouldn't be able to treat him. I was paralyzed with fear about making a decision about Rocky's life or death. The good news (given the situation) is that he is in the pretty early stages (not physically sick yet) and should respond well to chemotherapy. He will start his first treatment on Monday or Tuesday. This was such a relief to me and gave me peace because I feel like if we try this (whether it works long term or not), I have given him a fighting chance, and we'll get to enjoy our time with him. He shouldn't have side effects from the kemo, and the average remission time is a year (give or take). Please keep us in your prayers, and pray that Rocky will fight the best fight yet to give us a little more time with him. Thanks so much to family and friends who have already done so much to support us!


3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Hey Lindsay! I am so sorry to hear about Rocky. I don't know if you heard about Jason's dog Marshall that fought really hard with this. Here's Jason's blog that captures all of during Marshall's fight.

http://jasonupton.livejournal.com/

Jason took Marshall to Auburn every week for a while and then it got worse so he took him to Washington for treatment.

Thought you might find support there. Your "family" is in my prayers!

Amanda said...

Aww poor Rocky. So sorry to hear that news. I will be thinking about you! Keep us updated on the progress.

AEMcHenry said...

Hugs and kisses to Rocky. You and Joey, too.