Monday, October 17, 2011

Jinxed

Well, I guess I jinxed Marshall when I said at 1 month he sleeps anywhere during the day because at 5 weeks, that's no longer true. He is still sleeping great at night, long stretches and going straight to sleep. But daytime is a different story. He is having trouble going to sleep (unless he has just eaten) and is waking during his sleep cycle transition, right around 30 minutes or so. He is fussy and yawning so I know he's still sleepy and sometimes he's even crying and not alert. Sometimes he will fuss back to sleep and other times it requires a paci or some bouncing in whatever he's lying in to go back to sleep. I know he can't be getting good sleep in like this. Any of you ever experience this (especially this early when I don't think he has formed sleep associations yet, like we don't rock him all the way to sleep at night. We just rock him til he's dozing then he falls asleep himself in his bed), was it a phase, what did you do?

4 comments:

Amanda said...

I remember the waking in the middle of the nap. I had to look back on my blog but remember I tried to let him cry it out at about 4 weeks during nap and that failed big time. We just did exactly what you are doing! Put the paci back in, shssss him, place hand on his chest and "rock" him a little (we tried to not pick him up unless it was a last resort). Around 7 weeks he would wake up at nap and would be able to cry about 5 mins and soothe himself back to sleep. He just needed to mature a little. Marshall is still little and you are doing the right thing just keep doing what you need to to get him back to sleep and he will come around. I bet in a couple more weeks this will be better! And praise the Lord he is sleeping at night. I would take that all day long over good day naps!

Lindsay said...

Actually may have found the culprit...he falls asleep at night after sucking on a bottle, so he wants that during the day but can't hold onto his paci the whole nap, so he wakes up then takes a bit to settle down even putting the paci back in! Can we rig a rubber band system around his head to hold it in haha!

Lindsay said...

Thanks Amanda! That's good to know that it will get better in a few weeks! And you are so right, it is so easy to deal with this during the day as opposed to at night!! Or at least it is since I'm able to sleep at night, I have the energy during the day to do it!

LB said...

Both Ada and John settled into good naps by three months. Before that, a good, long nap was rare. I echo Amanda--he's still so little, and I think you are doing all you can do. Ada loved that paci, and eventually she grow into being able to hold onto that too.